To my fellow veterans and your families, let’s make this year better than last year!
You may ask, how can I do that? For starters, you have to be prepared to take advantage of the fact that VA is trying to do a better job in serving you, and you must take advantage of the fact that the tri-counties (Charles, St. Mary’s, Calvert), along with assistance from the VA, are trying to do a better job in serving our Southern Maryland veteran communities.
If you are a veteran or the spouse of a veteran, you can get started by making the following preparations:
- Brush up on your technology skills so you can take advantage of online resources. Access to most records and other pertinent information can be accomplished by using your computer. Make sure you have a working email for situations where you must provide contact information. Ask a fellow veteran for help if this is not an option for you.
- Identify the resources you and your family may need before contacting a VA representative. This will make it easier for the representative to determine how best to assist you.
- Since your time is important, call ahead to plan your visit to your local VA representative’s office if you must arrange a face-to-face meeting.
- Gather whatever documentation and information that may be pertinent to your case and be prepared to bring it with you.
- Attend free seminars sponsored by the VA, free veteran workshops sponsored by VConnections, or other local resources available in your area. Check our website frequently for upcoming events, or sign up to receive notifications of local events and resources geared toward veterans and their families.
Southern Maryland veterans there is no reason, why you can’t get off to a great start in 2015!!!
HAPPY VETERANS’ YEAR!